Friday, April 18, 2008

How to use this blog

Welcome to the "Living with Multiple Personality (and some Disorder!)" blog.

I have Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD, later renamed Dissociative Identity Disorder, DID). It's an unusual diagnosis, as well as a controversial one. While the experts were arguing over if MPD/DID was real or not, I moved through many phases of recovery, married my soulmate (who is also Multiple), attained a BA in Psychology and completed an MS in Rehabilitation Counseling Psychology. As a counselor, I now help people recover, reclaim parts of their lives, and find the hope that their future is worth surviving and fighting for.

I believe that I have an interesting point of view given that I've "been on both sides of the sofa," so to speak. I have not only been a consumer of mental health services, but now I'm a provider. I have to balance my understanding of my clients from both perspectives: objective/clinical/factual, and emotional/empathetic/been-there-done-that/past experience. Every day is a challenge, a endless list of to-do's, an mountain of paperwork, an obstacle course of bureaucratic red tape... and if I'm lucky... a glimpse of the amazing power, resiliency, hope, and perseverance of the human spirit.

If you have questions, feel free to email me or ask them in a "comment" to *THIS* post.

If you want to leave feedback or your answers to a questions, use the "comment" section.

Use the "search blog" box at the very top of the page to help you find topics/questions that interest you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are awesome. I am a parent of an adult child whose alter(s) have just started to show themselves. She did suffer sexual abuse at the hands of her father at 3 years old. After several major stresses and a trigger, I thought she was possessed. She recently found a wedding album I kept after divorce years ago. This gave her the information of who and the aweful fact that her protector mom knew the "thief". My daughter is also developmentally delayed which has made this whole thing even more concerning. Thank you for your insights. God bless you!